PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steps to become ME Instrument Instructor
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2006, 19:18
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From memory I think there is a way an ATPL holder with experience can become an IRI without an FI course
You are correct.

There are two routes to teaching for the IR. The first is to become a FI, then remove the No Applied Instrument restriction. This is what we've been discussing on this thread up till now.

The second option is to become an IRI. There is no requirement to be an FI first, and therefore an IRI will not have privileges to teach ab-initio students; the privileges only applying to teaching for an IR.

The requirements are to hold an IR and to have logged 800 hours IFR (of which 400 are on aeroplanes). Time logged by sole reference to instruments counts in the same 4:1 ratio. There is then a 10-hour course and a test (vs 5 hours for an FI to remove the No Applied Instrument restriction).

This only gives privileges to teach IR on single-engine. To teach on multi-engine would also require you to be a ME CRI. You can combine the CRI course with the IRI course, in which case the combined course is 15 hours.

All of this is in LASORS section H2

FFF
----------------