PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Training in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2006, 08:29
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If it's hour building you want, you'll tend to save money in general by staying away from the big sausage factories - and by that I mean IAANZ, NAC, AFS and certainly Massey. It doesn't really matter which one but a lot of the posters here are right in that you tend to get a more enjoyable experience and 'sometimes' a bit more personalized attention at the Aero Clubs.

If I was to do it all again I'd probably toss a coin and decide between Queenstown & Tauranga, they are both awesome although incredibly different flying environments - Queenstown with those incredible mountains and scenery and hard core flying, and Tauranga with all those incredible bikini clad chicks down the beach along with fantastic surfing, nightlife and general party town feel. Can't speak for Wakatipu but there are at least two schools on the airfield at Tauranga that can sort you for CPL/IR, the Tauranga aero club and Bay Flight.

Mooney12 wasn't joking about Ardmore either the place is an absolute nightmare for training purposes, I instructed on the airfield there for several years (although not at AFS) and I have to say the way it's structured at the moment - uncontrolled - its an accident waiting to happen. Oh and 12 planes in the circuit is an average day there, it can and does get a lot worse than that on sunny afternoons. The all time record from the time that I was there was 27 in the circuit with 8 on the ground waiting for taxi, and 5 others holding clear of the circuit waiting for joining clearance (back when it was controlled).