PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there engine "torque" on take off in a turbo-prop single engine aircraft?
Old 17th Apr 2006, 01:50
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Ok - so I gather there is torque. In the turbo-prop home-builts then the power (torque?) developed at take off power must be tremendous relative to aircraft weight and size. It follows (?) the take off swing must be really hard and it would be all too easy to swing off a narrow say 45 ft wide airstrip due to insufficient rudder authority?

What this is all about is an accident in USA where a homebuilt called a Tingle Special powered with a Walter turbo-prop was seen by witnesses to veer off a 45 ft runway during the take off run and one wheel went into sandy surface. NTSB Report LAX 06LA041 with Occurrence Date 19th November 2005 refers. Seems the pilot went to high power and tried to pull the aircraft off the ground but after getting airborne probably flicked, stalled and went in.

The discussion came up seperately that maybe he had experienced a deflated tyre during the early part of the take off run, causing the aircraft to swing off the runway. My guess is that something distracted the pilot from keeping straight and the aircraft simply veered from the centre line of the narrow runway and the drag from the sandy surface on one wheel caused things to go from bad to worse. An abort would have fixed the nproblem but the pilot decided otherwise (fatally).

My question therefore on these Pprune pages was to ask the really clued up among readers if an overpowered light aircraft of this sort could swing on take off due perhaps too rapid application of take off power in the turbo prop?
Certainly it could happen in a P51 Mustang (from personal experience - and I don't mean a minature Mustang but the real thing), but then playing amateur investigator I found myself all mixed up between engine torque and asymmetric blade effect.