PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2006, 00:53
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AIMS by IBM

Once one engine is out the remaining redundancy must be used to get the plane on the ground safely and not to continue for commercial arguments only this is the key argument against the continuance of the flight.

That and only that is the main reasoning when one has to answer the question of What is the safest course of action.

I agree that this is the issue and that decision has been placed in the captains hands. To me it is not black and white whether the decision making process was right or wrong. As has been mentioned before there is demonstrated historical risk to divert or turnback, while there is only implied risk to continued with some loss of redundancy.

I don't see that any lessons learned from a safety standpoint can be gleened from second guessing another choice. I'm quite satisfied that the captain did not make his decision hastily and did consult with others. To me the long and short of it, is that it's the captainjs decision and it should remain that way. There is no need to go to a rule book to sort this out.