PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 16th Apr 2006, 10:52
rudekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nige et al

Just to clarify a few points, before I withdraw from the public debate. I am very well aware of how flight crews work and the level of supervision they receive. I know you well!

I am not per se criticising the supervision, nor, as you suggest, do I think they were badly supervised. Supervision and direction are two different areas. Whilst I appreciate that hindsight enables clarity, the crew were poorly directed by their higher command elements. Information, assessment and alternatives were all available but not implemented. This is not Steady's responsibility out in theatre to resolve. Nor do I believe it to be a Sqn responsibility. I'm afraid I don't buy the line about operational imperatives for daytime flight. Nor do many others. Balance of risk is a difficult issue, but someone must take responsibility for balancing that risk. I can clearly see when an operational imperative for daytime OLF might exist, however I simply don't believe it to be the case here.

Your laudable aim of trying to stop this happening again by implementation of foam may prevent a recurrence. So might cessation of day flying. Something we are still doing routinely, some 15 months after the event. I am fully conversant with operating isues in theatres, having flown over 200 sorties in theatres in the last 12 months alone. However, a simple directive from above would be able to stop daytime flying in an instant. Everything else would just have to be worked around. All it needs is the will to carry it out.

I don't partcularly wish anyone to lose their job, but I'm not sure how well the balance of risk is being assessed. Are you talking about the last or present AOC 2 Gp?

I am very glad that this thread is being read at high levels. Perhaps someone may be able to answer my next question. Risk balancing; try explaining this when having to sit in a families lounge and explain that their son/daughter won't be coming home...

Are you aware that during the last six months, 2 Gp RAF ac have been tasked into theatre without a serviceable DAS of any sort? Authorised a long way up the chain...Is the AOC aware that his ac have been authorised for this? I hate to bring things like this out in a public forum, but noone seems to listen. Anonymity can be a powerful tool!

I don't accept your point about having to stay within the findings of the BoI. I have already stated my reasons for believing the BoI to be a sop to authority. The HCDC has the power to look outside the BoI at wider issues involved in this case. You've done a good job on the foam, why stop there? You have the contacts and freedom of movement to pressure the politicians on these issues. Most of us don't. Only when the politicians start taking an interest will we get movement and a re-assessment of the risk balance.

Finally, for further clarification, I am not having, and have not had a go at any of the crew. I don't think anyone else has either.

Regards and continued best wishes for the foam campaign.

RK