PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Air Arran Bomb Threat Diversions to PIK (merged)
Old 15th Apr 2006, 20:30
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ice Pack:

I can well understand that as a passenger you would get quite excited about a bomb scare.

Now I have just retired after 49 years of professional flying and I have to tell you that bomb scares are pretty low on my "getting frightened scale".

I have been through three of those in my civilian career and all three have turned out to be total bullsh*t.

I also spent 18 years as a transport pilot in the Royal Air Force in places such as Aden (where driving home was the big problem when it came to staying alive) and I have to tell you that I have a pretty good idea of fear.

A bomb scare on an airliner nowadays (and for many years) is a non-event. It is usually the result of a college kid or a Cuban trying to impress his girlfriend or something similar.

There are several hundred bomb scares levelled at UK airlines every year and no one has yet been killed by any one of them.

However, we could just be getting into a new phase of bomb carriers but we do not have to worry about that for the BAA will stop anything and everythng from ever getting on our aeroplanes (including passengers).