PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida flight schools!
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2006, 17:08
carbonfibre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL

Hello Again Sainty

I would recommend FL to anyone, maybe I can add some more to the information you have already. A lot of the runways are long, however there are a lot of short ones too.

It has been suggested finishing off with an FAA PPL, that actually sounds like a good idea, you should not have to do more than 5 hours conversion back home if your fresh out of test anyway and they throw the 5 hours night in on there PPL.

The radio work is more practical as opposed to procedural, a lot like there flying technique, there is good and bad in both systems. The point you made about navigation I understand as I know an Aussie who took his CPL skills test same time as me and could not get used to our towns / cities being so close together, in FL you can see typically for 10 - 20 Km with towns well seperated so after a while unless you become strict with yourself and stopwatch you pick a landmark and point the plane. It is still possible for it to go horribly wrong though!!!

I have flown with a few instructors in the US and have to say they are as professional as you will find anywhere with there practical skill level generally higher as they tend to fly more often.

The point I made before is that i would think it would be beneficial to finish where you started, FL would be a great place to finish though just be aware of total costs and the time you need to take from work. Great airports and places to visist too.

The weather can be as severe and far worse than here, the key would be to fly in the morning if possible, not the midday onwards until later, the temp can be unbearable + you get the severe thunderstorms in the afternoon. Im sure like most who have been you reguarly taxi around with the door open using the prop as aircon.

Have fun flying whatever you do