PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Collection at RAF Cosford under threat (Merged)
Old 15th Apr 2006, 10:44
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mig15
The point I was trying to make was related to Civil Airliners, not if they were flown by the Military.
So why include four aircraft which were Military? The York was originally built for the RAF. I had a feeling the Jetstream was also used by the RAF but, as with the Britannia and Comet, wasn't too sure so didn't mention them. The York at Duxford is only partially complete - it has no wings but does have a very nice paint scheme which I believe is Dan Air but could well be wrong.
The one at Cosford is complete and a fascinating shade of dark green I have a photo on my other computer but can't retrieve it at the moment.
Temps, your idea of a dedicated museum is an excellent one and one I feel should be explored further. Whilst in NO way decrying the invaluable contribution of the Spitfire to our history, It does seem that almost every museum has at least one of them perhaps to the detriment of other, equally worthy, potential exhibits. It sometimes seems that, like the silly assumption by some, that all pilots were men and no women pilots paid any contribution to the war effort, the only aircraft in the war, with the possible exception of the Lancaster, was the Spitfire. Elvington is the only place, so far, where I have seen a specific memorial to the women.

GCC thanks for the info.