PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 15th Apr 2006, 08:34
fat albert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub, I'm not entirely sure what your problem is but I suspect you're a bit of a retired, it-was-good-enough-in-my-day, run-stark-naked-at-jerry type of fool.

No, you can't protect against an RPG round through the cockpit, you're right. So by that thinking we shouldn't bother doing anything I guess? What a facile argument. You protect yourself against those threats you can but accept that there are those that can't be defeated. By your logic, we shouldn't give troops flak jackets because they won't protect against a big VBIED so why bother. Genius

There is enough money to do these simple fixes but sadly the RAF is wrapped up in gibberish like Typhoon and various disastrous admin IT systems. As stated before, this is a cheap system. £50k to inert one of the RAF's largest, slowest flying, explosive targets versus the loss of a multi-million pound airframe, several aircrew, a few vehicles, a load of pax and god knows what else. It's not rocket science. The money is there - just witness how much is being allocated to move a few offices round at Lyneham to create a "Force HQ".