PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nervous ECG
Thread: Nervous ECG
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 23:34
b747heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

captwannabe,

I monitor my BP with an off the shelf automatic monitor that you can buy almost anywhere (at least where I am). Not expensive. It is not required as a part of my medical that I do so, I just do it for my own piece of mind and as some history when the time comes.

Like many things, when you do them for the first time, you are anxious about it and your body/brain reacts in different ways to cope with it. If it is something as important as a medical that plays a big part in a career for example, I think your system becomes 'trained' to react this way each time due to the weight of the situation. Then each time you go back, you remember what happened last time and the results are somewhat the same etc.

It was suggested to me that as a part of overcoming this that I monitor my BP at home and 'teach' my system that there is noting to worry about. My BP is normal when at home. In a way, I try to condition myself to being a little calmer about these sort of things when in the hot seat.

I did have an echo-CG as well as a 24 hour holter, but this was more of a precautionary thing as I remember walking into the office of the cardiologist and he looked at my ECG and said "everythings normal, but..." and the 'but' was one of those 'we'll just check a couple of things to make sure and give me lost of money...' My records are on file with my aviation medical branch and I keep a copy for reference if req'd.

At the end of the day, no problems.

I would think that as your cardologist found nothing wrong that all will be