PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 20:27
Mike Read

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meteors

I was a Meteor QFI 1952 -1954 and can confirm much of the detail already posted. 210 AFS at Tarrant Rushton was an interesting place with all the groundcrew being civvies working for Flight Refuelling. All the time the unit operated, just under two years, we only had one fatal accident caused by a chap who had already completed the course making an error in a Meteor Mk3 and hitting the ground somewhere near his own home. We, the QFIs, were under strict instructions never to refer to the Meteor as a "Meatbox" which I seem to remember came from Group HQ.

My next posting was 34 Sqn (Meteor Mk 8s) at Tangmere. One morning after night flying the previous evening, a report of an aircraft doing low level aeros over Wrotham, Kent came in. As Fg Off Ashwell's parents lived there the finger pointed to him and the SIB were soon examining the authorisation books as we were the only unit flying that evening. Unusually, we used to enter the take off and landing times logged by the tower and try as they may the cops could not match our records with the reported incident. Needless to say, Pete A was dealt with by our boss and nobody thought to explain the difference between zulu and British Summer Time to the RAF police. I wonder how many COs nowadays would have the guts to deal with such misdemeanors themselves as judging by remarks made in prune it is unlikely.

Incidentally, if nobody else has already mentioned it, the report of accidents in 1952 appeared in Air Clues sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's and it was repeated again in the Flight Safety Magazine 1/95 pages 6 & 7.