PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Air Arran Bomb Threat Diversions to PIK (merged)
Old 14th Apr 2006, 19:17
SIDSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This episode is very disturbing simply because the Captain was refused permission by the authorities to do what the law requires him to do - ensure, as far as possible, the safety of his aircraft and everyone on it.

Leave aside the issue of the a/c being diverted to PIK. That's the prerogative of the UK government and if that's where they have planned for such events then that's where the a/c will go.

It was when the a/c got on the ground that the real problem started. Captain unable to exercise his responsibility to ensure the safety of the pax. He and he alone in law is the one charged with this responsibility during flight time (in the Irish context that means until the last person including himself has left the a/c).

I'm sure there are very good reasons why he didn't just tell them all to bugger off and throw everyone down the slides. However, the real issue is what happens the next time this occurs? If it's me, I'm going to divert to the nearest suitable airfield and to hell with the consequences. I'm well prepared to face any court on that one. And even more to the point, how many of us will tell ATC the truth about our diversion? Very few, I'd suggest, after this debacle.

In the FR 25 case, there should have been no problem in getting the pax off the a/c - even if the authorities believed (reasonably) that there might be a bomber among them. Get the pax off, away from the potential bomb that the a/c was, search each one in turn and get them all to a safe secure (so they can't run away) location. The rest of the search for the guilty one (probably from a previous flight) could go ahead without any problem and all, including the crew, at the very least would have been safe.

Whoever decided that these pax would not be allowed off the a/c has just royally screwed up every future problem in this area.

Which of us is going to tell ATC the truth from now on if this is what is going to happen? Certainly not me. I'd much rather that the one terrorist that I might have on board the a/c blows himself up on the ground than in my aircraft. And never forget, Mr Tony Blair, that as long as I'm the Captain I will do all I can to ensure the safety on my pax and crew regardless of what you and the security services may try to do to stop me. I'm prepared to bet that most Captains will do the same thing. Now where is that going to leave aviation security?

Last of all, if the culprit is found, let's hope he gets a long stretch in the slammer - preferably in the IOM where they give these idiots the required treatment.

Let's hope that BALPA, IALPA and IFALPA really make their voices heard on this to ensure that sensible and workable security procedures are put in place for the future. WE all wish to help the security services in this regard but not is such lunatic policies are pursued. Time for some clear thinking.