PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Forum?
Thread: New Forum?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 15:51
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jindabyne,

It is a common fallacy, I feel, that the KOS like myself (and those I served with) have nothing to offer from our experiences that would be of any use to those serving in "Today's RAF".

I posted the following tale some years ago; I feel, however, that it bears repetition: if you disagree then I apologise.

In the late 1960's No 46 Sqn had on its strength on MAQM Don Hayward. Mr Hayward was approaching retirement and did just enough flying to maintain currency; his normal role was to run the Sqn Ops desk which he did with style. He did, however, have to be re-categorised each year.

Now it so happened that the new ALM Examiner from 38 Group EU was a totally abhored gentleman who would try every means at his disposal to denigrate those whom it was his job to examine.

During Don's "ground cat" on Combat Survival the examiner asked what Don would in a certain situation. The reply was short and to the point; Quote "The first thing I would do is throw that ******* book out the window."Unquote. The examiner "grounded Mr H and awarded him an 'E' category. Returning to 38 Gp he sent off the paperwork and looked for another target.

The examiner was somewhat surprised to find the paperwork returned to him a few days later with a polite note suggesting that he had, perhaps, made a mistake. Now a wise person may have had second thoughts (and perhaps made a few enquiries); but our man was made of sterner stuff. He sent off the paperwork again with a note stating that there was no mistake and Mr H had indeed failed at combat survival!!

A few days later the Flt Sgt received a telephone call from someone who was entitled to show lots of stars on a plate on his car. This Gentleman started by saying that had no wish to try to persuade the Flt Sgt to change his mind; rather he merely wished to point out some facts regarding Mr H that the Flt Sgt appeared to be in ignorance of.

The Gentleman then pointed out that Mr H had been his Air Gunner during WW2 and had, in fact, been shot down TWICE over German occupied territory and had got back to the Allied Lines both times. On the second occasion he had fought with the Maquis for several months until they were overrun by the Allies advance.

The Flt Sgt was posted to Singapore where he was only allowed on 52 Sqn if he was actually conducting a examination.