PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Air Arran Bomb Threat Diversions to PIK (merged)
Old 14th Apr 2006, 14:18
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
This posting on a forum is becoming addictive....I must stop it. But before I do......

Re the attitude that a bomb threat is a hoax until proved otherwise, because there are so many. The anecdote below illustrates a similar mindset.

In a period of heightened threat in the Middle East some years ago, baggage identification by passengers as they boarded was routine.

And it came to pass that, after about 3 months of doing these and finding bag after bag left on the apron unidentified, another check was done (for a full L1011 service operated by a high risk airline) which resulted in a bag being left behind. This was carried to the edge of the apron and forgotten, just like all the others.

And 60 minutes or so later, it exploded with considerable force on a time switch, killing the loader who was sitting on it for a short rest.

The aircraft it wasn't on was over the ocean, and its crew and passengers lived/will live, I hope, to a ripe old age.

One other thing...the flight was a few minutes behind schedule. The Captain (British) had tried to over-rule the baggage ID check procedure as "A total waste of my time and yours. It's people like you applying the rules blindly, without any common sense, that cause all the problems".