PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 14th Apr 2006, 11:17
Safeware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nigegilb,
While I admire what you have done, and I think that some of the 'risk' decisions deserve such scrutiny to ensure that risks are really being managed and reduced ALARP, what Adam Ingram says in
We have to decide if it is worthwhile doing in terms of age of the aircraft, whether it is technically possible and what it means in terms of the fleet.
is actually correct and iaw case law and H&S guidance. If the cost of fixing something is grossly disproportionate to the benefit, then there is an argument for living with the risk. ie if it would cost £100 million to institute a modification that could only be seen to save one life for a risk that was assessed as low, then not doing the mod would be ok. If you had an argument that said for £100 million a mod could be introduced that would save 100 lives by preventing loss of life, you would be on dodgy ground taking the risk of not introducing the mod.
One of the main issues is 'are the grown ups accepting the risk correctly, or on the basis of praying that it will never happen'? One in a million seems an awful small risk until it happens to you or yours.

But as I said, congrats on what you have achieved.

sw