PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida flight schools!
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 10:34
Paris Dakar

Sainty43,

As 'Keygrip' correctly points out there are only 3 organisations in Florida offering you a route to a JAA PPL. I have attended two of them and will give you my views, as I have no experience of the 3rd I cannot/will not make comment.

Ormond Beach Aviation - been there three times in total and have enjoyed every visit tremendously. Great location, good airport, nice accommodation, excellent training, and above all - well organised. Every e-mail or question I have taken up with OBA has been answered within 24hrs without fail.

OFT - visited there a couple of months ago. Very nice C172 for hire at a good price, I got a great instructor for the checkride, and the airport has that 'large feel' about it. There seemed to be a lot of students milling about the place and business seemed brisk. There was however a slight mix-up over my slot booking, and I was made to look like a 'fool' in front of students/instructors alike. Had it not been that it was my very last chance to fly before returning home (OBA was too far away for a one hour rental) I would have turned around and walked straight out of the door.

How much are you currently paying now for your instruction in the UK? The reason I ask, is that it has a direct bearing on my answer. At my home field (Newcastle) 1 hour with an instructor including a few T&Gs will cost you £200. Assuming I could get my licence within the 45 hrs (mmmm?????) that would mean I would have to fork out at least £3K to complete the course. In that scenario, I would be better off going to OBA and finishing my course there. If your hourly charge (inc landing fees) is half of that, then perhaps the US route is not your best option.

Can I also make one final comment regarding OBA and in particular Adrian Thompson. I have only ever met him on a couple occasions (despite all the time I have spent there) and he wouldn't know me if I passed him in the street. I found him to be fair, accommodating and helpful. My advice to you would be to go with an open mind, work hard and enjoy yourself - and forget the minority who appear to have a problem getting on with folk.

PD