PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 08:37
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that anyone will be THAT interested.....
Behave yourself! That's exactly what we like on this thread!

Mark, the first lessons are always very exciting, and your hunger to fly will grow. My only advice is to enjoy your flying, and work hard at the theory. You will come across times of doubt (like my first northern nav-ex) when you think "Is this really for me"? But believe me now, it DOES start to fit together nicely and you don't have to do 3 hours a day for a year for it to do so. Just be disciplined with yourself and do things as you have been taught - remember your checklists and you will do just fine! Before you know it we will be reading your GST report soon!

With regards to the study material. I have to be honest in saying that I do like the Pratt (AFE) books, however I have not used the Thom ones. The Pratt books are very easy to read and have been written well for the reader who may know nothing on the subject. I don't know a lot about the Thom one's but they do appear a bit more like a manual...... just MHO.

I have to say that I did enjoy the reading (and still do). Aviation is a subject which I love, so it wasn't like trying to learn French at school which I couldn't stand. If you are interested, then you will learn it well and enjoy it.

Lysander - you are welcome to join me any time for a flight into/out of Liverpool!

Best of luck and keep us informed as to how you get on,

Lee

------------------------------------------------------------

I actually emailed the above post to myself in work last week in order to make a post at home, as I can't access prune at work. I have only just managed to get on the PC having been at hospital etc but I am really made up to see so much progress. Lysander, Cricket and Lister - very well done to you all and thanks for the fantastic write-ups, I am truly amazed to see this thread still going!

I hope I have not missed anyone out, if I have then I apologise....

Anyway, I got a new job the other week and I am currently working my notice, I am due to start early May and will just have to see how things pad out - the bonus is more pennies for flying but the negative is that I may be forced by the other half to invest it in the mortgage!

Thanks again everyone, and happy/safe flying - the class of 2006 is becoming a big one!