PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 07:16
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
Finally received my copy of 'Nick' Carter's Meteor Eject!: Adventures of a Cold War Pilot. And what a fascinating read about the RAF I wish I'd been in! At one stage he lives the life of Riley at Chivenor, flying Hunter F1 and F4, Meteor T7 and F8, Anson and Chipmunk. Typical off-the-cuff remarks about flying mates here and there in Vampire T11 and Meteor T7... How to get to the Air Ministry from Chivenor? Not by branch line train from Barnstaple to Taunton and then the main line to Paddington - but Hunter to North Weald, change and take the tube into Town!

On one day he did about 5 individual BoB display appearances in the same a/c. It also seemed you could go virtually anywhere in the UK by Hunter/Vampire/Meteor as the mood took you.

At one stage his boss was an old family friend of my father's, the late 'Farmer' Steele. Glad to hear that he was a popular boss with his men, but perhaps less so with 'Authority'. Hence the posting to Acklington as an admin officer... I wonder whether 'Nick' realised that he might have known him at Merryfield in his CFS-trapper days before he became boss of 257?

Books of the period are very rare indeed - but what an eye-opener this one is and it confirms what I'd always imagined the era was really like.