PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2006, 01:15
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
ETB....

Years ago when I departed Lagos for the last time....I was asked for and provided an assessment of the situation in Nigeria. One of these days I will make public that e-mail I sent to Redhill. All it got was a very large Black mark beside my name and filing in the round file because it said things they did not care to listen to. It is just as timely today as when I sent it to the Mandarins.....some of the suggested changes have occurred....but not many.

The Colonial mentality runs strong yet.....maybe in time it will be overcome by commonsense. The individual you describe was listed by name in that missive from years ago...and in time maybe he will be given an opportunity to demonstrate his ability. He is certainly heads above the dino's that linger on beyond their sell by date.

The old take it or leave attitude is taking its toll now....the Ozzie's are doing a runner....young folks have the ability to find jobs elsewhere that pay as good or better....old guys are retiring....guys with commonsense will not take the risks or put up with the lifestyle for the money offered...contract jobs in good areas pay better...and the pool of pilots with all the type ratings garnered at their own expense just do not exist.

The Dino's cannot figure that out for some reason. How many pilots and engineers have they run off over the past years that would still be here if they had been treated right?

They have made their bed.....they just will have to sleep in it for a while until they find a way to provide a decent lifestyle, decent wage packet, and find out how to treat people in a manner that will attract and retain quality people. Until then....they will be sleeping single in a double bed.

(Grammar and spelling mistakes are alcohol induced!)