PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2006, 21:08
ABINITIO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the privilage of 'serving' (I should hope the pedantic of you participating in this discussion won't read anything into the use of that word) under what was overall a fantastic set of VR(ATC) Officers, AWO/SGTS, CI, and Civilian Commitee members; being an Air Cadet between the ages 16 & 18.

All of these people, INCLUDING those "w*nks" reffered to in earlier posts played parts, big and small, in providing me with opportunities that would most certainly have been unavailable to me had I not been involved with the ACO. Though the status and degree of authority given to some of these so called "substandard" VR(T) Officers is a source of resentment for some members of the parent service; I believe it to be barely worthy of discussion.

Let those service members with issues deal with them in their own way; be it through not saluting a VR(T) Officer, or through mocking they're ability/intelligence etc. But at the end of the day... it's all about the kids...

For every "w*nk" in contact with the kids who perhaps isn't a fantastic role model, there's also someone having a positive effect on their lives.
And for every regular serviceman carrying resentment and disrespect for those in the ATC VR(T), there is someone with respect for what they do (as a whole), and are happy to help enhance the experiences of the kids.

"W*nks" are present in all walks of life including the VR(T) I expect... being 20 I don't feel as if I can say that with absolute certainty! But as with most organisations, within the ACO remains a net positive effect, and as long as there is a net positive effect, criticism directed at ATC VR(T) Officers (that isn't on an individual basis) is unwarranted, and when you look at what really matters - the kids - a disgruntled regular's opinion is of little significance.

The ACO played an immeasurable part in making my dreams come true, and I'm sure I'm not alone. And as it stands, I won't hear a bad word said about it.