PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE
Thread: NEWCASTLE
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2006, 20:19
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 DME ARC
Let’s clear up some points;
Air bridges – Yes we don’t have many but who would use them? BA and Britannia at the moment, yes others do but its costs extra to use an air bridge so the likes of Easy wouldn’t! By the way plans are in place to put more in.
Busing from pier stands – This occurs when the likes of Easy arrive . So next time you are on your ‘simply ridiculous’ two minute ride around the apron think why you are doing it! Rant over!
Hang on a bit !, you can put your points as to airport administration from the admin side quite succinctly, and to be honest perhaps thats part of the problem.
All I'm saying is that there are not enough airbridges at Newcastle, the point seems pretty accademic to me. I didn't say there should be a large number & quite understand the necessity for a significant number of remote stands. You can go on about airport X anywhere & their particular situation. If there is a trend towards remote parking at other airports it's simply because it is not practical to build more airbridges as the stands by definition do not have direct access to piers. What you have at NCL is a decent ? pier with plenty of scope for more airbridges (if not the funds).
So no airbridges at BRS, that does not make it a better airport or provide happier & more satisfied punters.
Finally to pick up on your point re two minute bus rides, it may be two minutes, with a ten minute wait for boarding / departure! Still it does provide jobs for bus drivers, more fuel & capital expenditure on ever more buses.
You can never win an argument that from a passengers point of view an airbridge is more acceptable than a bus ride, albeit most passengers, myself included appreciate that in the tight ecconomics of running an airport they are not always available. A response from an administrative perspective to justify as to why there is no need for them simply does not wash with me.