PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Air Arran Bomb Threat Diversions to PIK (merged)
Old 13th Apr 2006, 18:48
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some aspects of this incident, as reported, which I find quite puzzling and, as flight crew, quite concerning.

I am with Pigsfly on this one. As commander I would be inclined to inform the airport authorities that if steps were not provided post haste I would be ordering a pax evacuation. Ok there might be a few minor injuries but the consequences would be insignificant compared to a bomb being detonated with all pax still on board. Apart from the liability aspect should the latter case apply (could you not see the lawyers having a field day?) the aircraft commander is the person who has final responsibility for the safety and security of his/her passengers. It concerns me that it appears from all the reports so far that in this case the commander's authority has not been respected. I would hope that BALPA, IFALPA the IPA investigate the full circumstances of this case and make suitable representations to the politicians concerned. In short, it's not much good having the responsibility without the authority.