PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free Masons - Should they "come out"?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2006, 17:18
MostlyModerate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tigs2 and Meadowbank

If I may add to the last couple of posts a reference to what I explained earlier on in this thread. I would deem the said officer to be out of order in atttempting to use his membership for personal advantage, and I would expect the senior officer to tell him so in no uncertain terms. Perhaps an acceptable approach might be " Look , sir, I've got myself into a hole and I would appreciate your advice as to how best to extricate myself". We all know someone a couple of rungs up the ladder to whom we can turn for advice - whatever our profession.
FYI, Meadowbank, generally, masonic rank is conferred in recognition of service given, and outside specifically masonic matters it carries no authority.
To quote Burns - " Rank is but the guinea-stamp. The man himself's the Gold ".

A few years ago, the Home Affairs Select Committee, ably agitated by Messrs Mullins and Winnick, declared Freemasonry to be a self seeking secret society incompatible with all forms of public life ( or similar wording ). In consequence, the bandwagonners started demanding declarations of membership from the police, the judiciary, local authorities et al. All were supposed to be voluntary. The MOD issued a DCI " reminding members of the Armed Forces that masonry might be detrimental to the performance of their duties etc etc " .(again I paraphrase ). When asked of precisely what they were being reminded, a lengthy silence ensued.
The United Grand Lodge of England took the MOD to court, on the grounds that it was incompatible with UK and European Law to single out Freemasonry. Why not Rotary, Round Table, Buffaloes, WI, Golf Clubs or any other organisation. UGLE won, MOD paid all costs and the DCI was withdrawn. Over the next year or two, demands from other bodies have been quietly dropped.

And Meadowbank's request that we " move forward " seems a bit pointless. I do not wish to " move forward" . I am happy where I am. I don't need a "way ahead" or any other management-speak expression designed to make me lead my life according to someone else's agenda.

MM