PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Collection at RAF Cosford under threat (Merged)
Old 13th Apr 2006, 15:03
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aah Yes as Albert Driver states BA is a Commercial Organisation operating in many markets which in 'normal' times (whenever those are) are 'cut throat' and at the same time in a period when fuel prices are high and variable, with both internal and external costs rising!

Believe it or not I do have considerable sympathy the Board and Senior Management at BA whilst they attempt to deal with this situation (the phrase once uttered by an IBM Chairman does come to mind - 'How do you make an Elephant Tap Dance' when he was trying to restructure IBM to enable it to react to difficult commercial circumstances).

However BA has enjoyed extremely profitable periods and has, many times, blown money on expensive exercises which proved futile!
But even when annoucing excellent profits has never given any real consistent thought to heritage matters.

Although far, far, too late, I am sure that a reasonable 'Heritage Policy' even if implemented as late as the early 1990's could have mobilised a lot of BA retired Engineers to help with the Aircraft at Cosford - Providing Transport too/from a Heathrow area Location could have been arranged.
People like MIG15 were willing to assist.
Even non-Engineering volunteers, where BA or non-company could have been used for the less skilled jobs and done it for transport and an Airline Meal :-).
This would have been low cost and given BA some positive Publicity (which is always something PR want).

As we accept BA is entirely a commercial organisation, (then despite my belief they could have benefited from the Collection in ways that would show some tangible result) and found the cost of supporting the Airliner Collection a burden, then a decade ago there were some alternatives. If you like they could have given it to the 'Nation' with a one-off never to be repeated money donation. This would have forced several Government, NGO's concerned with Heritage and Cosford to take on-board the idea of a 'National Airliner Collection'

But all of that is in the past - What survives, whether complete, or as remains are going to good homes.

I said I wouldn't defend Cosford further: But as their ultimate master is the MoD, I suggest this tends to 'focus' the Museums priorities!

Note to Albert Driver:
I suspect that over a few pints we could end up 'issuing a joint statement' that would accommodate our differing views. But a thread based conversation isn't going to achieve that :-)
DIH