PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE
Thread: NEWCASTLE
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2006, 13:09
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maude Charlee
Newcastle simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support their lofty ambitions, regardless what the travelling public may want. The organisation leaves quite a lot to be desired.
Anyone who doesn't believe it, just observe what happens when they have as few as 4 or more a/c off pier all requiring turnarounds at the same time. Total meltdown. Frankly it's a piss poor performance and it just wouldn't happen at a 'major' airport.
Nothing against NCL, but they really need to learn to walk before they try and run.
I condone what you say to a point, and NCL's organisation does leave something to be desired. Such a situation will likely happen in any organisation experiencing the growth that has occoured over the last two years, given lead times to raise finance and carry out development.
My issue is, where is the evidence of future planning?, of which the lack of airbridges is a prime example. There was I believe some talk of the possibility of a second pier sometime in the distant future, but is this realisic ? Most people can put up with some inconvenience if they know that it is for the better. Personally I derive little comfort when standing arround in a newcastle airport noddy bus, as I know that little is to change !
As an overview I believe that there is a finite limit imposed on the development at NCL and it's simply down to lack of space, there are simply not enough hectares of land on the current site, and this lack of space leads to incremental development costs for any new project, as not only does one have the new build cost, but also significant costs attributable to rearranging existing infrastructure. You also have the issue of a relatively short runway with a small hill at the end, to which nothing can practically be done. Management simply have to hope that the likes of the 787's of the future come with enhanced performance or suffer more restrictions.
Finally I did not completely agree with Maudes comments about problems of 4 or more aircraft off pier & problems re turnarounds not happening at a major airport......... he clearly has not had the misfortune of suffering an early morning arrival at LHR !