PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building (General & UK)
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2006, 11:09
Reverand Lovejoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie008

Firstly, Welcome Aboard,

You seem like you know what you want but I feel as though you need to explore a few more avenues first. Strapping your PPL onto a credit card and jostling the terms around to avoid APR is a pretty sure way to end up loosing control of your finances. My advice would be to secure a job full time (if you haven't already) and fly as and when the weather lets you. You can save your money on bad days ready for the good ones to come around.

Initial PPL took me about 5 months not exactly full time but a good part of my life was put aside for studying ect. After that I have flown approximately 60 hours a year in the UK due to money, weather and family life!! The main concern is keeping your hand in once you've raped your card on the training. That was my problem too.

If money is a problem as it is for most of us then Oxford shouldn't enter your vocabulary. There training is very good but you get what you pay for and there prices are extraordinary. Even on the modular Waypoint scheme some of the costs are not evaluated, accomodation for one. If the 5K required for the PPL is an issue forget Oxford, I had to. There is only one scheme I can think of that doesn't take your money first (but does in the long run) and that's CTC. That was my option and I'm going through selection now.

Although it's not what you want to hear but there is no cheap way into this field. At the very least I think you can kiss goodbye to 25K and that will be with alot of plane washing and ferry flights ect to build hours.

Sorry to be bit negative but I think that is the harsh reality of the game.

The Reverand