PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways applications/recruitment/accomodation
Old 13th Apr 2006, 06:24
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for Interview/Ass. Day

Well, nothing else has been put up so here are a few pointers for the ass. day. Remember that it's been about two-and-a-bit years since I went through it so perhaps things have changes. Maybe Rich will confirm.

1) Arrival at Cranebank
When you arrive, you'll be seated in the large reception area with a host of other hopefuls. There may well be more than just your group going through at the same time, so while you might be sitting with people, you may not see them again.

It's been said before that British Airways plant "moles" in the reception area to see how you interact with "strangers" though I doubt this very much. Still, it never does any harm to try and have a chat to your fellow applicants as it might make the group task later in the day that little bit easier.

2) Introduction
The first thing that you'll do is be given an introduction. The recruiters will give you a brief, 20 minute chat about the company and, depending on the job you've applied for (LGWEF or 6-Month-LHRWW) they'll probably give you a bit of information about the role.

They'll open the floor to questions. Don't ask about expected allowances. Don't ask about what's going to happen to you six-months down the line. These are all things better answered by the line trainers when (and if) you get through.

Order of the next two varies - one half of the applicants will do Group Exercise first while the others will do One-on-Twos.

3) Group Exercise
I know that the "subject" of the exercise has changed, but the aim behind it is still the same. To give you a rough idea of what to expect, you'll be given a piece of paper on which there are 10 names. Some of the names are single people, some elderly, some young. Some have disabilities, others have kids. They all have different likes and dislikes.

You'll also be given a list of activities.

The story behind the exercise is that this group of 10 people have won a prize of a day out! You have to pick the activities that the group will do during the day out but you can only pick three activities.

You have to, working as a team, decide which activities might not be suitable for the entire group (due to factors mentioned above) and which ones might be most appropriate.

The recruiters will then throw a spanner in the works. They'll tell you that you have to leave two people behind. It's up to you (again, as a group) to decide who to leave behind and for what reason.

Tip 1 - A lot of people tend to think that having a massive input will reflect well on you. I'm not entirely sure that's the case. Actively encourage your fellow applicants to get involved. Ask them questions, trying to use their names atleast once during the task. "John, what do you think about leaving Joyce behind? She's da dum de dum de dum...... etc".

Tip 2 - There is no right or wrong answer. If your fellow applicants suggest something that you think is "wrong", offer suggestions as to why you would do something else but don't be critical of their ideas. You may think they're wrong, but they aren't - though nor are you.

Tip 3 - Have fun. Get the job done but have a giggle along the way. This task is not about who you leave out of the day trip, it's not about what activities you choose. This task is about seeing how you work with your counterparts.

4) One-on-Two Interview
Most daunting part of the day? Hell yeah. You'll be ushered in to a room where you'll be sat opposite two members of the recruitment team.

The most important tip I can offer for this part of the day is to print off the questions you were asked in the online application and RE-ANSWER THEM. I was asked exactly the same questions and this caught me off-guard slightly. If you can walk in to the interview and have another set of answers at the ready, it'll reflect well.

Take a couple of hours out the night before the interview. Sit down, read over the questions again and read over your new answers (note - NOT the ones you filled in on the application form....). Make any changes you want but try and commit the answers to memory.

Try to answer as fully as possible, including as many relevant details as you can, but also try and keep your answers fairly brief and to the point. As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest trying to talk for perhaps two-three minutes per answer.

5) After Leaving
More for your own sanity than to help with getting the job, STAY POSITIVE.

I left Cranebank after my interview feeling thoroughly downhearted. I felt that I'd well and truly messed up (particularly in the interview stage - and I'm normally a very confident interviewee) but sure enough, two days later, the "CONGRATS" call came through.

Don't beat yourself up about your performance on the day. Stay positive and forget all about it until you get the call. You might spend two days worrying yourself daft about your performance on the day but end up having been exactly what the recruiters wanted.