PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2006, 23:19
Postman Plod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken the conversation "outside" from http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...=1#post2515071
to here, which seems a little more appropriate.... Maybe I'm over-analysing what you said... but....

I'm quite aware of what my commissioning scroll says, and how it related to everyone else in the RAF thankyou! I'm quite aware that I am an Officer in the RAF, and I'm damn proud of that fact. I go out of my way to try to make sure I uphold the standards and traditions of my parent service.

But I've spent a total of 2 weeks (thats 10 days) at RAFC Cranwell, of which 5 of them were on a Senior Officers course. The training was almost ENTIRELY aimed at how to run a squadron of cadets, the rules and regs for such things, and the pitfalls. We had 1 day of leadership tasks and training. I had a great time, learned a lot, but pretty much bugger all about the RAF, how it operates, what it does, who runs what, etc etc, because I didn't need to know that. I learned how to look after my cadets properly. I knew enough beforehand that I wouldn't look like a tit in the mess, how to wear my uniform, who/what/when to salute, and hey - yes - I already knew something about the RAF because I'm interested.

I completely understand why some regulars have a problem with VRT officers (I do too sometimes), but thats not my problem - I am one - they can deal with it as they wish. I'm just going to make damn sure that they can take me seriously in the job I do, which is look after my cadets on their base. I'm not going to demand anything from them because I'm an officer and they're of a lower rank than me, or act like an arrogant sod who knows everything and doesn't need advice. I have no expectations when I'm on base - if we get a tour of a section, or a flight, then I'm grateful - I have a pretty good idea how busy the RAF is at the moment. I even know that some sections of the RAF have little or no respect for VRT officers bcause they've had a bad experience in the past - my aim is to make it as painless as possible for them and try to leave a positive impression.

So does that make me a bad officer? Believing that I'm not really a regular at all? Knowing my limitations? The spec for this job, over and above the basics, is an ability to observe and learn, liaise with the regulars, apply common sense, decency, and manners, a rapport with teenagers, a willingness to do a job for no credit, and to do jobs that need doing. Isn't this what the Regional board should be looking for as a priority, rather than stuff that can be learned?

I knew there was some point to what I was saying!

Just remember that the RAFVR(T) is not just held by staff of the ATC!
I know - I didn't say it was?