PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2006, 23:03
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

K52
The comments regarding the weather being poor as well as the aircraft being unable to climb to MSA came from an Ex Naval Officers fertile mind. We must, however, face the fact that the Aircraft did not climb to MSA or turn away from the high ground in its path.
I'll take 'fertile mind' as a compliment, then, as it is certainly more use in this situation than an infertile, closed (and rather sycophantic) one.

The crew planned a VFR sortie, which the BoI agreed was quite possible to have been flown (thank you, John Blakely for posting the detail), a far cry from the suicidal scenario you attempt to paint. Indeed, such dramatic nonsense simply highlights your lack of expertise and experience in SH operations. The 4degC level was at about 2500ft ASL, and the local MSA 2800ft. Perhaps you can explain how the crew might have planned, or even flown, a climb to SALT without exceeding the aircraft's limitations?

Why it did not turn away, neither I, you or anyone can say. Whilst there is no evidence that a malfunction did occur, equally there is no evidence that one did not. The AAIB investigators at the HOL inquiry were at pains to point out that the serviceability of the aircraft could not be assured.

Similarly, your harping on about breakfast is a sideshow. In that theatre, a days work involved visits to many army bases where plentiful food was available to helo crews. You have no idea what food the captain had taken during the day.
One possible explanation could be distraction from the primary task by visitors to the flight deck
have you ever been inside a Chinook? Thought not.
There was no distress call or attempt to squawk "EMERGENCY"; either of which would have alerted SARSAT.
It would appear that the time scale would have precluded this. Yes, just my opinion.

Now, how about dropping your constant references to your qualifications, (which, impressive as they are, were gained a long way from SH, and BTW no more impressive than those of many of us who know a little more about such operations) and answer my points, rather than trawling up new ones.