PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2006, 16:53
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How soon after you got your PPL did you start IMC training? Should I build up my hours a bit first? What do y'all think?
Errr. Two consecutive entries in my log book read:

Skills Test (passed!!)
IMC General Handling

So from a flying perspective I started the minute I got my ticket. In reality I passed the test in mid November, sent off for the licence, received that on Christmas Eve (nice present) then waited and waited and waited for the weather to clear to go for my first flight. It became my longest break from flying by mid January and I was a bit apprehensive about taking friends up. So I had a word with the CFI - could we go for a short refresher. Instead he suggested we make the most of the overcast weather and so my IMC training began... Since then I've been flying VFR quite regularly and looking to do IMC once a month or so, 3 hours in the bag so far.

Although the IMC course is 15 hours, I need to gain at least 25 hours from my PPL issue before I can claim the rating. At least 10 of the 25 have to be PIC and I think 5 have to be on XC flights. But I'm in no rush at this time. It is something to do to improve my skills and to learn a new discipline.