PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How are people affording to complete their training?
Old 12th Apr 2006, 11:37
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A home owner only a few months after leaving Uni! You must be doing well. It took me a few years before I had enough cash to put a decent deposit down on my house.

Does it feel any better if you paid for it yourself? I don't feel that way. But, when looking at my blue book with my ratings and thoughts about how much cash it took me to get there, then I'm just pleased I don't have any debt. I still have my house too.

The comment about it getting harder relates to constant changes in regulations and further hoops to jump through.

- Five years ago, anyone with a SSTR would pretty much get a job. Nowadays this is not the case.
- CTC wasn't around 5 years ago pumping ab-initios into Easy Jet or the other charters, effectively cutting off the natural route modular students would take - now you can't get into certain airlines unless you've gone through a certain training organisation and are below a certain age.
- The wannabe market is flooded with people who borrowed the cash overnight. There was much less of this several years ago.
- What effect will licence changes have in the future - what about this multi-pilot licence?

As I said, things continue to change. You just don't know how it will evolve over the next few years.

Now, I'm facing another hurdle of money to throw at the career with thoughts of a SSTR, or becoming a FI. It never ceases to amaze me where people get the money to do all of this when they don't have another career to fund the change.

Last edited by no sponsor; 12th Apr 2006 at 15:44.