PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates FO wages
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2006, 07:57
Gillegan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight allowances at Emirates are some of the lowest in the industry so no big win fall there. As far as other allowances go, Emirates does provide an education allowance for up to 3 children. How much that covers depends on the school the children attend - it covers roughly half for me. If you have no children then there is no value there for you.

Accommodation is a touchy subject here. The company provides housing - an apartment for single FO's and married FO's w/no kids. A villa is provided if you have children. Some accommodations are nice and others are not. If you are one of the unlucky ones, your only choice is to opt out and take the accommodation allowance which does not nearly cover the cost of renting. Renters are required to pay their own utilities and taxes (yes there are taxes). Should you choose to buy a place, again, you will most likely be out of pocket for the difference between your allowance and the cost of the mortgage, utilities, taxes and fees. An unfortunate experience with the accommodation department can be enough to make the job untenable.

In my opinion and in the opinion of many others, the package is not enough to justify living here. Volumes have been written here about the shortcomings of the package vs. living in Dubai. I'll leave it to you to do your research. As far as the actual value of the package to you, you need to figure out just what you would be entitled to and calculate how much you would be out of pocket vs. how much you can save and compare that with what you already have and just as important, what you want to achieve.