PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOISE ABATEMENT & FUEL COSTS
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2006, 07:16
B A Lert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SM4Pirate - I'm not concerned about late running flights making time but the cost of the additional fuel when a more sensible SID may be employed. It is true that the heavies to KLAX and KSFO generally proceed on a runway heading and turn right when 6 or 7 miles from the airport but for the likes of Air Canada and Qantas to PHNL, anyone going to New Zealand, Fiji, Tahiti or to other points in between invariably enjoy a scenic tour of north-western Sydney before being able to turn right or left to set course. While a rwy heading/right turn saves time you cannot deny that it costs money. If a daily YSSY/NZCH had to depart as Emirates did today, and fly an additional 6 minutes, a conservative number, then the annual additional fuel usage would exceed 350 tonnes - enough to fly a B744 to EGLL and half way back. It all adds up!

With the modern radar and communications facilities available, can't the ATC 'architects' devise safe and sustainable SIDS to conserve resources, and save money? That they create a bit more nuisance for some of the better-off in YSSY should be beside the point.

Note, dear SM4, that those at the coalface are not the target of my gripe as they just have to do as they're told but perhaps they can think about matters as have been raised in this thread and then rattle the cages of their leaders/management? Maybe such a new SID could be named NIMBY