PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you turn your phone off???!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2006, 23:44
SHortshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes and No!

Oh dear, if I really believed that bit about the $50 mobile phone causing the FADEC to shut the engine down on a helicopter then I think that I would give up!

All evidence that mobile phones are a risk to the operation of aircraft is, I believe, anecdotal. I welcome attempts to prove that assumption wrong.

If there really was a risk then I am sure that mobile phones would be banned on aircraft by the regulatory authorities. The last time I looked they weren’t.

The only time I read of a prosecution for using a mobile phone on an aircraft it was for disobeying the lawful order of a crewmember, not for endangering the aircraft.

As to saturating the cells, well the executive in his 1000 ft high Penthouse suite is much more blameworthy than me and my passengers down below at a height of less than 500 feet.

I switch my phone off but only because I don’t want all those messages from the various regional service providers welcoming me to their service but I encourage my passengers to call their friends and get them to come out and wave to us as we go past – I think that is good PR and helps our business.