PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre flight nerves.
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2006, 19:47
chopperchav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been lucky enough to fly helicopters and fast jets, ride powerful motorcycles, race powerboats and fast cars and am still here to the wifes frustration. I also have a one year old son and so would no doubt be called irresponsible by many people.

I do however have a very healthy fear of death and do get nervous before any such activities which is obviously your body's way of making sure you are awake as it knows the consequences if you are not. I guess it boils down to your own personal risk assesment of the situation and your confidence in the machinery you are playing with and your own abilities to control it. I would for example never base jump off the Eifel tower as you would have to be mad to contemplate such a thing.

I am a big fan of the 'if your time is up' theory which definitely helps. With my career I could easily have been siting in one of the twin towers behind my bank of trading screens on 9/11 laughing at those idiots who put their life on the line every day flying helicopters for a living.

In short I hope my son will get to experience everything I have and more rather than opting to experience it through a sky digital box.