PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all pinoy pilots, advise po
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2006, 17:14
planestupid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klintph,

I really pity you because it is a stupid rule. Eyesight to a correctable 20/20 should be fine to pass a medical because more than 1/2 the captains and many of the FOs have them. So the 20/20 rule before entering AV school is dumb. The main reason for it is coz the military use it as a culling tool to choose pilots due to the high number of applicants. In the old days PAL also had a lot of applicants coz PAL paid for the training. Now, they would be lucky to get enough applicants to fill a batch. So what does that say about the quality of applicants?? Previously, Av school got the best graduates from UP, La Salle, Ateneo.... Now you get halfwit kids with rich parents that can afford the P1.9 mill!! PAL has to find a better way of getting applicants. Correctable eyesight should not be one of them.
Cessna1052 is right about the color test, although the theory behind that is also a bit stupid. Has something to do with reading lights from the tower in a communications emergency. Again antiquated coz in a real emergency there are so many ways to deal with this problem before resorting to tower signals. Runway lights are not too much of a problem, although in rare circumstances maybe. Maybe the best solution is the laser surgery! I welcome any MDs out there that disagree, however please give us a reference to the research. My reference is my own case, I've been flying for 25 years, 10 of those with glasses and I cannot recall one instance where I thought I couldn't do my job because of glasses. Its a BS rule!!
Remember don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it!! If you have the brain, the motivation and lastly the money, following your dream is not unattainable. Pare... good luck!