PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on study/training materials for IMC Rating
Old 11th Apr 2006, 15:44
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tmmorris

I like sweeping statements, but you knew that, really

Personally I think being safe is a whole lot more important than being legal, especially if the illegality of something (e.g. being in IMC when supposedly under VFR) cannot ever be enforced. So, a capable plane is more important. There aren't many of these around for rent.

A lot of dubious stuff goes on in VMC, especially on the PPL training scene, but a lot changes once you get into IMC. You need more than just a good radio.

FlyingForFun

The phrase "license to learn" is widely used to conceal the fact that PPL-level training is actually pretty cr*p in many areas. The holder of the new license/rating is told it is only a license to learn, and the instructor promptly hides behind the nearest hill. The system doesn't come crashing down simply because most new PPL holders never go anywhere, IMHO.

Currency on type is nearly everything, so I would first sort out a decent plane which will be available to me afterwards, and a decent instructor (IR level and not an FATP hour builder). And allow for more than 15 hours. 25 is a lot more like it.

Also one needs to learn the correct use of GPS - only a masochist would fly in IMC the way it is taught in the IMCR. Especially if trying to avoid CAS (desirable, and generally possible in the UK) when many routes will not lie on VORs. This isn't in the syllabus, of course.