PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre flight nerves.
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2006, 12:42
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
Many years ago while flying a Cessna Caravan over a part of Washington State known as the "Alps" due to the rugged mountains in the area....beautiful night...VFR on Top....full Moon shining...clear as a Bell for vis...stars showing....glass smooth air...looking down on the craggy tippy tops of the mountains barely poking out of the cloud which went to the bottom of the valleys....I realized I was bore sighting (more or less) the only engine on the airplane.

Instantly overwhelmed by the "What in the Hell am I doing here" sensation. Immediate realization that an engine failure of that only engine would be fatal to all directly concerned. No way we could make a forced landing with any rational hope of survival.

We're talking a significant anxiety attack here.....a truly uncomfortable feeling. It was a conscious acknowledgement of a situation where the odds greatly favored the House and not the Gambler.

The descent into cloud for the Instrument approach was a relief....workload increased, mind got back to business and not considering my own individual mortality.

I hold with the concept that the Good Lord will call us home at some time not of our choosing....kicking and screaming..dragging our feet and holding onto the door frame will not matter....we will leave here when called. I also believe that if we jump into a well, the same Good Lord, is not bound to fetch us out either.

A bit of fear shows itself as caution and is both normal and healthy. It is okay to peek into a well and consider how deep and cold the water is....just don't go for a swim and count on someone to happen along and crank the bucket up for you.