PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another pilot in alcohol realted incident
Old 11th Apr 2006, 11:53
Flying Microphone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b777900
I agree, this is getting ridiculous, once paxs realise they have the power to give pilots grief and delay flights simply by whispering in some security persons ear, It will spiral out of control. I think it should be compulsory to get the paxs name and details, and if it is unfounded, the pilot and the airline should be able to take them to task. The same should apply to security staff.
An annomous whisper from a paxs, who is then allowed to continue on with no accountability for their accusations is ridiculous.
Hang on a minute b777900

I'm only a PPL and enjoy reading this forum (thought I better state that after the recent postings about the Eirjet incident ), but surely the primary concern here must be safety?

On how many occasions each year are pilots stopped and breathalysed following pax tip-offs? How many occasions with stops following security staff suspicions being raised? I don't have the figures, but I'm guessing from reading these pages that it can't be an every day occurrence???

In Britain more than any other country I've lived in, we have potentially fatal inbred characteristic... the "Let's not bother reporting it... someone else will already have done it won't they? Bound to have!" syndrome.

Whether it's a car alarm going off in a car park or, more seriously, someone staggering to their car after a beer or six in the pub... "Leave it Stan, we're not the only one to have seen him. Someone else will already have told someone".

Sound familiar?

Now add to that that Harold and Hilda going on their package hols to Spain think they've seen aircrew necking a shot before going to the sharp end of an aircraft. They're already reticent to tell anyone 'cos after all "Someone else will have already told someone, won't they", but now they know that should they tell someone and it turns out to be innocent/a mistake/not what it appeared, that they will be sued for slander and dragged through the courts for a big defamation pay-out.

Hmmmmmmmmm, let's see... ain't gonna happen is it?

Surely, if one pax or security person fingers one pilot at some point and prevents God knows what from happening, then its worthwhile? Or am I missing something?

I'm sure it's a complete embuggerence to be stopped as aircrew and told you've been "seen drinking/staggering" by someone. In reality though, how long can it take to prove otherwise? Maybe it's the system and what happens when an accusation is made that needs tweaking.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Cheers

Chris