PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on study/training materials for IMC Rating
Old 10th Apr 2006, 19:03
Islander2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you would find "Instrument Flying" by David Hoy rather useful, if you could lay your hands on a copy. It was a guide to the old CAA IR, published in its final form about ten years ago.

If memory serves me correct, David Hoy was CFI of Cabair at Denham, and a long-serving IR instructor.

Whilst the book is oriented towards passing the IR flight test rather than real-world IFR flying, it has a lot of useful, and succinct, information and tips that are equally applicable to the IMCR course and test.

When you have the rating, the following would be my three top 'study' recommendations to assist your progress towards a real-world IFR pilot:

1) The mine of information (and members' expertise) available through PPL/IR Europe, an organisation that's open to IMCR holders as well as those with an IR. IMHO, this is a must-join organisation for any serious IFR pilot in Europe, not only for the information source but also for the effective lobbying they are doing on our behalf.

2) Weather Flying by Robert N Buck.

3) IFR - A Structured Approach by John C Eckalbar.