PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying v. driving & ongoing training culture
Old 10th Apr 2006, 19:01
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

About 18 months ago, I was stupid enough to get caught speeding by a fixed roadside camera. That's stupid in itself, but compounded by the fact that I drive past this same camera every single day on the way back from work - I know the speed limit, I know the camera is there, and I always make absolutely sure I'm below the limit when I pass the camera - except that day.

The speed I was doing was such that the police offered me the option of attending a "speed awareness course". I turned up fully expecting a day of bullsh!t about how "Speed Kills", thinking I would nod my head at the appriopriate times to get through the course, then go home.

What I found instead was enlightening and educational. I found it very difficult to argue with any of the points which were raised in the classroom, and the driving part of the day showed that although my driving was absolutely fine, there were one or two minor points which I could improve on; I've made every effort to concentrate on those points since.

All in all, a very well-spent £80. Although I wouldn't recommend speeding past a speed camera to get to do the course.....!

FFF
----------------