PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Police Pilot
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2006, 12:07
volrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The training of new (previously used to two dimensions only) Police Officers to understand the complexities of the third dimension, and then add the job of listening & responding to up to 7 different audio inputs whilst directing people on the ground is, IHMO, a significantly greater task than using people who have the third dimension in their blood
Well that answers your question doesnt it?? I mean if the Police Officer can take all this on board and then perform with his/her Police knowledge on how to handle incidents, on how deploy officers or be able to "negotiate" with SIO's at incidents. Why would we need Civvies?? lets face it a Police Officer on the ground likes to feel they have the comfort of an experienced officer in the aircraft guiding him/her into a target, making sure they have suitable numbers on their side. If they thought it was civvies above would they have the same amount of trust??
I think we have gone to far with civvies in her and everywhere. As a tax payer I want a Police Officer to deal with my nicked car or shed burglary not a CBSO or a civvie running a desk! I am all for the proper person doing the proper job, a line check is and should be used to mark the performance of observers this will dicate if training needs or a move off is required. Oh and what will they pay civvie observers? A lot less than long service bobbies! pay peanuts...need I go on??
I am not worried about my post as I have a few years only left and if I was moved on so what I can survive, so my reply is not one of "protectionism" just my view, so you watch the controls and I'll watch the role equipment