PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD to cut war widows' pensions if they sue over husbands' deaths (Merged)
Old 10th Apr 2006, 11:37
chappie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
other view point

thankyou for a balanced view. i accept not everone agrees with me and i will consider your points made.

i wish to make it clear i do not wish to speak for everyone as i would be assuming and generalising that everyone would be seeing everything from my view point.

i accept that risks are taken and lives lost in the military. surely you can rely on your own country to protect and care for you. not send you like a lamb to slaughter. it is the enemy that we should be frightened of and killed by. not by our own countries shortcomings. we live in the 21st century. we are not a third world country and there are times where making do will not suffice. if we send someone into battle, as a member of public, i'd expect that in order to do the job properly they have all that is needed. this may be idealistic but not unreasonable.

to maintain a "can do culture" you cannot have a "make do" one. there are funds that are being misused and but should go to you guys to maintain your equipment. i

we are not jumping onto a litiginous bandwagon. if we were we'd have taken action way sooner. it is not a decision that has been reached lightly. while it is okay to risk your life in battle it is not okay to do so because we don't have the equipment. who says that one life is more precious than another? why one solider hand over his flap jacket or crew get into an unprotected plane? why is it okay to gamble their lives? the powers that be have been warned that this would happen time and time again. it was ignored. the mistake was made and lives lost. that does not go un answered. it is not okay what has happened.

meeting with tony blair is to see why these decisions were made. he's the oone who stands by his decision, so why not defend it to any one? you cannot pick and choose who you justify it to. you lost lives because of your mistakes. justify why you did that.meeting with government can't be compared to winston churchill times they were different wars for a start. i have not said i disagree with the war. i'm not suing because of that.

you may be happy to accept second best. others aren't. taking action may or may not take money from your budget. that is not my responsibilty to think of that. it is the governments. they will have to take steps to rectify it. what about the cost of the ten lives lost? what about the cost of, recovery of bodies, investigation, repatriration,burial, lost plane, memorial, pensions, inquest and the like. where did that money come from??

thanks for the other side of the coin. i know no insult intended. some of it could have been a little insulting but life isn't pretty and i'll take it on the chin. but please do not generalise the families of the hercules. we are not happy that this happened. their deaths cannot go unanswered. i'm glad you can now express your wishes to your family in the event that god forbid you are killed. i'm not doing this for my brother. he is not here. if he's embarassed so be it. i'll have to deal with that. he didn't die doing his job, or what he loved. he stopped doing that the moment he was killed. not just my view, tourist. other families feel this way. he was let down, unnecessarily by his government. they are not untouchable and must answer for those lives they helped to lose.

Last edited by chappie; 11th Apr 2006 at 09:11.