PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Clearance vs Platform Altitude
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2006, 10:33
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Pete
I personally do not see how you can descend to the platform unless you are either;
a. On the published procedure. or
b. Under radar control with a radar minimums chart available to you.
PP
This to me means that once given an intercept heading and cleared for the approach you have two options:

1. maintain last asigned altitude untilon a published approach segment, then descend or,

2. descend immediately to the minimum radar vectoring altitude and then once established on the approach, descend to the published minimum altitude

To me, this still poses the problem of what ATC expect you to do? Does having a Radar Vectoring Chart with you entitle you to descend while still off-route if an approach clearance has been received?
If you don't have the Radar Vectoring Chart do you have to maintain the last assigned level? In that case, what if the chart exists but you don't have it? I know that sounds silly, but it means we now need two charts to fly the procedure in the manner ATC are expecting. It's all very vague!!!! HELP!!!

The longer this discussion goes on the more it seems that there isn't actually an agreed procedure or at least we are not all operating in the same way.