PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD to cut war widows' pensions if they sue over husbands' deaths (Merged)
Old 10th Apr 2006, 09:24
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like to add a couple of things.
Firstly, Tourist, I appreciate your honesty and I always value a considered opinion, I do however think you are wrong. We need to establish if it was lawful to ask grieving relatives to sign a contract whilst being effectively coerced. If you have read my other thread you will see that I hold the Australian Military in high regard. They automatically provide legal representation for bereaved families. They are also represented the BoI process. It is important that families give informed consent. I have spoken with some of the families and they did not know what they were signing at the time. I am not a lawyer but I doubt if this is lawful. For the wider point do not fight wars of choice if you do not have the equipment. This govt assisted by its Chiefs of Staff are overly focussed on the task. I sincerely believe that the 10 crew who died on the hercules died unnecessarily. I also believe that unless we do something we will lose another crew. If you are not convinced about the amount of money please do some research and find out how generously the US Govt awards its own war widows. You may belong to the old school of military sacrifice but I am afraid your attitude is no longer in the majority. If we do not deal with this, the trickle of personnel leaving the military will turn into a flood. This reply is not meant to insult you in any way, I am merely pointing out that I believe you do not speak for the majority.

I should also add that I wrote to Mr James Arbuthnot Chairman of Defence Committee about this subject on 02 April.