PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD to cut war widows' pensions if they sue over husbands' deaths (Merged)
Old 9th Apr 2006, 21:37
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chappie.
I am deeply sorry for your loss, and I am concious that you may not want to hear this, but I cannot agree with your stance on this subject.

We are all military volunteers, no pressed men.
Our job is dangerous, people make mistakes as they do in all walks of life, but in ours people sometimes die because of them.

Governments make decisions. Good or bad, it is up to us to implement them or leave as is our right.

We do not have to agree with their decisions.

In every war, people will get killed. We cannot sue just because we disagree with a particular war. We know the risks, and one of those risks is that the budget is limited and we will not always have the best, or indeed any suitable kit. Tornados are rubbish. Seakings are old. Lynx is dangerous. Our radios are useless half the time. SA80 is until recently cr@p. We don't necessarily have enough of every bit of kit to go around. Some aircraft have better defensive aids than others. People have to decide where to spend the money. They will not always get it right. That is the risk of being in the British military. We all know it. It is not an excuse to sue. We are paid extra for the riskiness of our occupation.

The way to get rid of a government we disagree with is to vote them out.

Litigation does nothing but deprive serving soldiers of even more kit, because the spiralling legal costs come from our budget.

The idea that a premier of any country should meet the families of war dead, whilst I can see that it might be cathartic for you, is frankly impractical, as well as a bad idea. A leader should be objective not subjective, cold though that may seem, plus where do you stop? In the second world war, Churchill could never have found the time.

I had various friends and aquaintances who lost their lives in Iraq, the family of at least one of whom have been quite prominent in the press. I strongly believe he would have been embarrased by his families stance, and have made a point of telling my familiy that I would not want any such stance from them in the case of my death in a conflict.

It is not my intention to upset you, but I feel it is important that you are aware that at least some of us in the militry do not support your actions.