PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2006, 21:19
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cazatou
BEagle,
Yes , guess you do.
After all, you wouldn't want an "A" cat Captain/Flight Instructor/Local Examiner/ Training Captain/ MG/IRE competing with you -- Would you?
Someone might notice some of the holes in your arguments.
Well, K52 - how about someone with equal qualifications - but on Support Helicopters and with NI theatre experience? Yes, I have flown the Chinook, albeit it not being my primary type.

So, with all your fixed wing experience, please explain HOW exactly would YOU have flown the aircraft suffering from an engine runaway up in that situation? I think you really have no idea what this emergency entails.

I have suffered this type of emergency for real in a FADEC equipped helicopter, fortunately in far more benign and less demanding circumstances. Even so, it was very unpleasant. I shudder to think how things might have gone if I had been faced with it in marginal VMC conditions such as these two pilots were required to fly in. I have also seen the vagaries of digital engine control computers and how in-flight faults can occur and be indicated to the pilot yet fail to recur or register for maintenance purposes once the aircraft has had all electrical power removed.

I was also responsible for a helicopter simulator project for the RAF, where such things can be practised - they CANNOT be practised on the real aircraft. The two pilots may have had the opportunity to experience this extremely dangerous scenario in the simulator (although there was no Mk2 simulator). I am willing to be shown otherwise but I don't think this was ever researched or considered.

And how exactly would you deal with a detached flying controls pallet, in flight, possibly rendering control of the aircraft impossible?

Either one of those emergencies is potentially the reason for the accident, based on the previous history of the Mk2. The detached control pallet is as likely as any other, after all it was found detached in the wreckage and no-one has proved if it was a cause or symptom of the accident.

Also, there may (or may not) have been a cross-cockpit communication problem, which may have contributed to the accident, based on EVIDENCE found in the wreckage that the co-pilot's intercom had been selected to "Emergency", along with EVIDENCE that there had been a possible attempt to set the IFF to 7700. None of us know the answers and never will, because the only two people who did have a chance of knowing are dead.

As I said to you at least once before under your old username, K52, there are some of us who are willing to support a gross negligence charge against deceased former colleagues based on inconclusive evidence and those who aren't.

I fall into the latter category. You appear to have made up your mind to do so.