PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Sunglasses
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2006, 18:13
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I like Revo. The "blue/purple" lens (with white shirt and bars) seems especially helpful for getting waved by military checkpoints - but in Africa only, in the US they just tell you to take them off ;-(. Note that the weird color is just the outside coating - the lenses themselves are kind of a brown.

I've found the Serengeti's a little on the light side for the glare of offshore flying and glacier work, even the IFR when you're in the sunshine on top of white cloud.

It's going to be a compromise for the darkness of the instrument panel going from out to in. Maybe if everyone painted them light grey it wouldn't be such a black hole of contrast.

Wearing comfort is a major consideration. The bayonet type (Randolph?) seem OK for helmets, though my HGU-55 came with a visor anyway. Normal headsets need a pretty good seal to keep the noise out and therefore have a lot of "clamp" force. Purpose built ANR's, like the Bose, don't rely on a seal and have far less clamping force, and therefore are more tolerant of different sunglass arms.

Malabo