PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute Dropping
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2006, 14:29
winch launch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started dropping at 19 with 270 hrs TT and just a PPL.
As bombi said the experience required to drop varies a lot. It usually depends on the insurance which also depends on the aircraft type. If I were you I would concentrate on clubs operating piston aircrafts. But an aircraft like the C185 will require you to have a bunch of tail drager hours.
After about 75 hours dropping and a CPL, I found a position on a cessna caravan, just by sending CVs to all the paraclubs within driving distance from my place. So you see dropping is also a nice way to get a turbine job. The money is almost always good when you fly turbine as you have more jumpers at the back to pay you . On pistons it depends.
You have to understand that even though it doesn't look like it, skydivers care about their lives, and they also consider their airplane as an expensive lift that if unserviceable, will ground them. So every centres are very concerned about their pilots and you ll have to pass a check. They will only hire you if they like you, and if they feel you are safe. So you need to look very relaxed and confident to reassure the jumpers, especially if you are young. Jumpers can feel it when the pilot is nervous and it frightens them. That' s also why you should never do things that you are not confortable with, even though as bombi said, jumpers try to push you to the MAX.
The flying is a lot of fun and the life in paraclubs is great. Hours raise very quickly. The only downer is all the time spent waiting for the weather to clear, but that gives you more time to improve your sausage BBQ cooking skills.

Any more questions, don' t hesitate to PM me.

Winch