PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asthma
Thread: Asthma
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2006, 13:33
samson.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David - there's a simple solution... don't tell them. I know plenty of people in the RAF with asthma, migraine, hayfever (they call them 'summer colds') etc. Obviously, if it limits you significantly now, it probably wouldn't be a great idea to do this, but it sounds like it doesn't.

If you are wondering whether any testing they do will reveal a past history of asthma, you can rest assured that it won't. Their testing will only reveal currently ****e lungs, not past ****e lungs. (it's a bit, but not much, more technical than that)

The other thing to think about - what's the worst that can happen? They never find out, you get accepted, live happily ever after. They do find out - you don't get accepted. They find out that you didn't tell them you had asthma - you don't get accepted. So you don't really have anything to lose.

Also, asthma is probably over-diagnosed in children. It is easy to give a wheezy/coughing kid an inhaler and call it asthma, when in fact it isn't (could be chest infection, allergy). Would be a bit of a shame for said kid to be barred from the RAF for life.

I'm sure I will probably get flamed for saying this...

Last edited by samson.; 9th Apr 2006 at 15:53.